Just, yet, still, already






These words are often used with the present perfect tense although yet, still and already can all be used with other tenses.

Just


‘
Just’ is usually used only with the present perfect tense and it means ‘a short time ago’.

  • I’ve just seen Susan coming out of the cinema.
  • Mike’s just called. Can you ring him back please?
  • Have you just taken my pen? Where has it gone?
In the present perfect, ‘just’ comes between the auxiliary verb (‘have’) and the past participle.

Yet


‘
Yet’ is used to talk about something which is expected to happen. It means ‘at any time up to now’. It is used in questions and negatives.

  • Have you finished your homework yet? The speaker expects that the homework will be finished.
  • I haven’t finished it yet. I’ll do it after dinner.

‘Yet’ usually comes at the end of the sentence.

Still


‘
Still’ is used to talk about something that hasn’t finished – especially when we expected it to finish earlier.

  • I’ve been waiting for over an hour and the bus still hasn’t come.
  • You promised to give me that report yesterday and you still haven’t finished it.

‘Still’ usually comes in ‘mid-position’
Still
is often used with other tenses as well as the present perfect.

  • I’ve still got all those letters you sent me.
  • Are you still working in the bookshop?

Already
 
‘
Already’ is used to say that something has happened early – or earlier than it might have happened.

  • I’ve already spent my salary and it’s two weeks before pay day.
  • The train’s already left! What are we going to do?

‘Already’ usually comes in mid-position.




Share your views...

0 Respones to "Just, yet, still, already"

Post a Comment

 

Recent Comment

© 2010 TOEIC 990 All Rights Reserved Thesis WordPress Theme Converted into Blogger Template by Hack Tutors.info