STILL vs YET



"Still" is used to express that a situation continues to exist from the past to the present without change. It comes in the middle of the sentence. It can be used in affirmative, negative, and interrogative sentences:

"¢ It was cold yesterday. It is still cold today. We still need to wear coats.

"¢ I could play the piano when I was a child. I can still play the piano.

"¢ Even though Hattie turned out the light at 10:30, she was still awake at midnight.

"¢ I loved you last year, I still love you now, and I'll still love you next year.

"¢ The mail didn't come an hour ago. It still hasn't come.

"¢ I've been studying Chinese for four years, but I still can't speak it.

"¢ Do you still live in Soho?

"¢ Were you still in Paris when the war started?
_______



"Yet" is used in negative sentences and in questions. It comes at the end of the sentence. It refers to something that did not happen before now (up to this time), but it may happen in the future:

"¢ I expected the mail an hour ago, but it hasn't come yet.

"¢ We're planning to move to Chicago, but we haven't decided yet just when we're going to make the move.

"¢ I've called Barbara, but she hasn't called me back yet. I think she'll call this evening.

"¢ Have you had lunch yet?

"¢ Are they married yet?

"¢ Have you finished your homework yet?

Rachel




Share your views...

0 Respones to "STILL vs YET"

Post a Comment

 

Recent Comment

© 2010 TOEIC 990 All Rights Reserved Thesis WordPress Theme Converted into Blogger Template by Hack Tutors.info