PHRASAL VERBS cont.



P

pass away: die
His uncle passed away last night after a long illness.

pass out: faint
It was so hot in the church that an elderly lady passed out.

pass something out: give the same thing to many people
The professor passed the textbooks out before class.

pass something up: decline (usually something good)
I passed up the job because I am afraid of change.

pay someone back: return owed money
Thanks for buying my ticket. I'll pay you back on Friday.

pay for something: be punished for doing something bad
That bully will pay for being mean to my little brother.

pick something out: choose
I picked out three sweaters for you to try on.

point someone/something out: indicate with your finger
I'll point my boyfriend out when he runs by.

put something down: put what you are holding on a surface or floor
You can put the groceries down on the kitchen counter.

put someone down: insult, make someone feel stupid
The students put the substitute teacher down because his pants were too short.

put something off: postpone
We are putting off our trip until January because of the hurricane.

put something out: extinguish
The neighbours put the fire out before the firemen arrived.

put something together: assemble
I have to put the crib together before the baby arrives.

put up with: someone/something: tolerate
I don't think I can put up with three small children in the car.

put something on: put clothing/accessories on your body
Don't forget to put on your new earrings for the party.


R

run intosomeone/something: meet unexpectedly
I ran into an old school-friend at the mall.

run over someone/something: drive a vehicle over a person or thing
I accidentally ran over your bicycle in the driveway.

run over/throughsomething: rehearse, review
Let's run over/through these lines one more time before the show.

run away: leave unexpectedly, escape
The child ran away from home and has been missing for three days.

run out: have none left
We ran out of shampoo so I had to wash my hair with soap.

S

send something back: return (usually by mail)
My letter got sent back to me because I used the wrong stamp.

set something up: arrange, organize
Our boss set a meeting up with the president of the company.

set someone up: trick, trap
The police set up the car thief by using a hidden camera.

shop around: compare prices
I want to shop around a little before I decide on these boots.

show off: act extra special for people watching (usually boastfully)
He always shows off on his skateboard

sleep over: stay somewhere for the night (informal)
You should sleep over tonight if the weather is too bad to drive home.

sort something out: organize, resolve a problem
We need to sort the bills out before the first of the month.

stick to something: continue doing something, limit yourself to one particular thing
You will lose weight if you stick to the diet.

switch something off: stop the energy flow, turn off
The light's too bright. Could you switch it off.

switch something on: start the energy flow, turn on
We heard the news as soon as we switched on the car radio.



T

take after someone: resemble a family member
I take after my mother. We are both impatient.

take something apart: purposely break into pieces
He took the car brakes apart and found the problem.

take something back: return an item
I have to take our new TV back because it doesn't work.

take off: start to fly
My plane takes off in five minutes.

take something off: remove something (usually clothing)
Take off your socks and shoes and come in the lake!

take something out: remove from a place or thing
Can you take the garbage out to the street for me?

take someone out: pay for someone to go somewhere with you
My grandparents took us out for dinner and a movie.

tear something up: rip into pieces
I tore up my ex-boyfriend's letters and gave them back to him.

think back: remember (often + to, sometimes + on)
When I think back on my youth, I wish I had studied harder.

think something over: consider
I'll have to think this job offer over before I make my final decision.

throw something away: dispose of
We threw our old furniture away when we won the lottery.

turn something down: decrease the volume or strength (heat, light etc)
Please turn the TV down while the guests are here.

turn something down: refuse
I turned the job down because I don't want to move.

turn something off: stop the energy flow, switch off
Your mother wants you to turn the TV off and come for dinner.

turn something on: start the energy, switch on
It's too dark in here. Let's turn some lights on.

turn something up: increase the volume or strength (heat, light etc)
Can you turn the music up? This is my favourite song.

turn up: appear suddenly
Our cat turned up after we put posters up all over the neighbourhood.

try something on: sample clothing
I'm going to try these jeans on, but I don't think they will fit.

try something out: test
I am going to try this new brand of detergent out.


U

use something up: finish the supply
The kids used all of the toothpaste up so we need to buy some more.

W

wake up: stop sleeping
We have to wake up early for work on Monday.

warm someone/something up: increase the temperature
You can warm your feet up in front of the fireplace.

warm up: prepare body for exercise
I always warm up by doing sit-ups before I go for a run.

wear off: fade away
Most of my make-up wore off before I got to the party.

work out: exercise
I work out at the gym three times a week.

work out: be successful
Our plan worked out fine.

work something out: make a calculation
We have to work out the total cost before we buy the house.




Share your views...

0 Respones to "PHRASAL VERBS cont."

Post a Comment

 

Recent Comment

© 2010 TOEIC 990 All Rights Reserved Thesis WordPress Theme Converted into Blogger Template by Hack Tutors.info